Friday, April 06, 2007
my love/hate relationship with facebook
why it bugs me:
1. there is no option other than male/female for my gender diverse friends to use.
2. they tell you every little thing that people change on their profiles. i really don't need to know!
3. i added a guy from highschool, who is making me nauseous...posting updates that he is masturbating and has pictures of himself and his steroid pumped arms grabbing women's breasts. for real! i almost dated this dude too. until he slept with my friend (big surprise). he will likely be deleted.
4. i didn't know i had so many cousins, until i joined facebook. they are coming out of the woodwork, and have the appropriate last names to be my second cousins, but i probably only met them once at a family reunion. i'm not feeling like i can really be my self now on facebook (i like to keep some parts of my life private from extended family). grrr.
why i love it:
1. i have tracked down the loveliest people from my past, like the friend i've had since age 1 month and would totally hang out with now if we lived in the same province, friends who now have kids, lovely camp friends.
2. with my bad memory, and finding all these people, it almost feels like i have more of a context of my own history...not just, i grew up in inglewood/caledon, went to mayfield, moved to montreal, went to tbay, moved to vic, now in van...but i have all these lovely reminders of the people i've cared about along the way.
3. well, pretty much because so many people are joining it, so the social network of the past grows!